Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Why Hello, Officer

Tonight, right after dinner, the doorbell rings. I see through the front window that it is two police officers. I quickly run through my head why they would be at my door and can't come up with anything. They ask if everything is alright - it is - because someone has dialed 911 from our house. I quickly retrieve both phones - no dial tone. I check the bases to make sure all is ok, nothing. After about 5 minutes of quizzing each one of the children, I remember a phone from college that we have recently unearthed from the garage.

Turns out, one of the kids (that 8th child we have named "not me") has plugged it in upstairs and dialed 911. Well, we have Callnotes, where if you don't answer your phone, or if you are on the other line the answering service picks up. Turns out the police dispatcher had tried to call twice to check on us, and since there was no answer, sent out the police. I guess they saw all the children running around and felt sorry for us, certain that it was an accident and left. How embarrassing!

No comments: