Friday, December 5, 2008

TTTS Awareness day

I just stumbled upon the Twin to Twin Transfusion Website the other day and noticed that December 7th is World Awareness day for TTTS. I am working on getting a fundraising page up, but if you would like to contribute, please go to the TTTS Foundation webpage and you can donate from there. It's amazing, as we just past the girls 1 year birthday, where we were last year at this time. Even though we didn't progress to the laser treatment and/or we didn't have to choose which one of our girls would live, I am forever grateful to the Doctors, nurses and other staff in Houston for their care and concern. We made 7 painful (just long) trips there and came home each time with healthy babies. I'll never forget the whirlwind events the few days before they were born. I didn't have a good feeling the week before I was admitted, and I had actually scheduled another visit to Houston to have things looked at again. I never got to make that trip. I am so grateful that I listened to my body. By the Sunday before the girls were born, I was having difficulty sitting on the couch and getting a big breath. It turns out, Abby was doing worse and her fluid had increased. Some of the extra fluid was removed on Monday and my doctor told me I was in the hospital for the long haul. I spent the rest of the day making sure that I had all the necessary things for a few months in the hospital - toiletries and a laptop! What else do you need? The next day, things were ok and we celebrated Olivia's birthday in my hospital room. By wednesday, things were looking grim again and the delivery was scheduled.

All this to say - thank you to everyone who helped us through this most stressful time in our lives - we couldn't have done it without you. If you feel like giving back to someone - please consider the TTTS foundation, as they were very quick to mail us resources free of charge. These were invaluable in helping us understand in detail what was going on. Have a wonderful week!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

TTTS is treatable. Dr. Rudd at Regenetech in Houston has considerable work on it.